12 thoughts on “Do You Mark Year Seven Books?

1. This is so interesting, Lisa. Do you think this method could work for older classes? Marking causes me despair. I don’t have Year 7. Or Year 8. Just over half my timetable is A level and the rest KS4. Sometimes it takes me an hour-long non contact period to mark 3 A level essays out of a class of, say, 18. I mark every piece of homework and some classwork by listing what they’ve done well and ‘feedforward’ targets, but I either skimp on planning in order to catch up on my marking or get behind on marking in order to do some proper planning.

2. I use it for KS3, 4 and 5 – you have to know what rewards they enjoy to make getting the plus worthwhile to them (getting a grade higher isn’t usually enough). A KS4 class I used this with just pulled in my best value added to date so I’d definitely say its worth trying out.

I try to plan and mark at the same time, if that makes sense, as I use what I’ve read to feed my next lesson.

I’m pleased you enjoyed the post. Let me know if you use it and if it’s successful for you xxx

3. Nice one, Lisa. My story is very similar sadly. English marking does take ages. The trick I like best from your post is the succession of similar tasks. Often, we move from objective to objective which means there’s limited scope for using the target set for the next piece. Will give it a go.
    Ps: my year 7 boy’s History book has yet to be marked… Weirdly, it makes me feel slightly better! I must say that his English teacher’s marking is the best!

Thanks for a lovely post. Now back to marking and planning! 🙁

4. It is if you’re buying them rewards. With some classes the reward can be merits. Our year 11 kids only get to go to prom if they get 1200 merits so they try hard to get a plus because they know theyll get merits. Im sneaking in the back door and making them achieve.

My Y9 class see it as a table competition so whichever table gets the most + in a term are seen as the winners; they really are happy with just being the winners too – no need for a prize.

I think it’s about knowing your classes. My year ten class are the best as they see the plus as the reward (top set love to progress). I do agree that they should be more focussed on the progress but knowing what they like can gelp with how to get them to care about making progress enough to pay attention to what I have to say in their books

• I think I would ask him how he snuck the ashes of James Doohan (Scotty from Star Trek) onto the international space statoin without anyone knowing. Pretty cool.

5. Thanks Helene, it’s awful to see your own kid’s books neglected isn’t it? At least we can make our own pupil’s work count :). Let me know how it goes xx

• Posted on incredible, that was a very good read. In coonlusicn, someone who actually thinks and understands what they are blogging about. Quite difficult to find of late, especially on the web . I bookmarked your web blog and will make sure to keep coming back here if this is how you always write. thank you, keep it up! .

6. I’m not against the whole marking thing, being a teacher of a plastic subject I get the joy of 100% coursework courses equaling 300 pieces per class per unit and there are 3 units per KS4 class of which I have 2 in each year. So when I tell you I mark for improvement please believe me. When you talk about Yr7 you need to understand that subjects like Art and my own hell bound ICT only see their classes once a week. This would require a lot of time spent on marking and would risk detrimentally effecting our KS4 results. I mark a single piece of work for each KS3 class each half term and the pupil grades are supplemented with my classroom observations (which are recorded). Please don’t think I’m attacking your strategies but understand from time to time there is no time. I have 13 groups each week for reference.

• I agree Andrew; it has to be different strokes for different folks and there certainly isn’t a bandage “fix it” solution to marking (other than a serious amount of time given to us to do it). I just offer my suggestions with a hope that my daughter’s less pressured teachers (English/ Maths) might want to give her a nudge in the right direction via feedback before she reaches y10 xx

• I’m putting togteher a list of the Top 100 Classroom Blogs and your site was recommended by another blogger on the list. I was wondering if I could ask you a few questions about you and your blog, please e-mail me at alexisbrett@gmail.com and include the title of your blog in the e-mail, thanks!

7. Well done Lisa – you hit on the most important part of the AfL cycle: getting students to do it again. And again. Marking can be crushing for English teachers – I got home tonight a 7 after checking through 240 Year Controlled Assessment folders. The hours that have gone into marking that pile is ghastly to consider. And *such* a waste when compared with the value of marking Year 7 books in the way you suggest. I’ve written on a similar theme here: http://learningspy.co.uk/2011/10/27/top-marks/